Fully Charged: 2022 state election manifesto
The Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce has launched its 2022 state election manifesto, Fully Charged: The automotive industry’s policy priorities for the next Victorian State Government.
The document calls for the implementation of 27 recommendations that will make a difference to Victoria’s 19,000 automotive businesses and the 110,000 Victorians working in them. Not to mention Victoria’s 4.5 million or so motorists.
The most urgent ‘call’ is to address critical labour shortages across all sectors of the industry.
Further, the next state government needs to:
- Create a comprehensive zero and low-emissions vehicle (ZLEV) strategy
- Instigate a three-year apprentice wage subsidy program for employers
- Introduce a three-year apprentice mentoring program to improve retention rates
- Invest in sustainable waste recycling and renewable energy facilities
- Raise Victoria’s payroll tax threshold to $1.2 million per annum
- Implement an annual roadworthy requirement for vehicles aged eight years and over.
There’s more to do, of course, but if the next Victorian government gets these policies in place it will shore up an $11 billion sector.
Download Fully Charged: The automotive industry’s policy priorities for the next Victorian State Government